I have been called a “sky pilot” (a.k.a. preacher) with a serious bent towards adventure. I’m a husband and a father. I often use bow, barrel, fly rod and mountain bike. I enjoy travel. But what defines me the most is my relationship with Jesus Christ. My greatest adventure has been my spiritual journey of growing in the grace and knowledge of my Lord and Savior. My life is an adventure…
Rebecca and I married in June of 1996. For me, it was love at first sight in Dallas Seminary’s library when she caught my eye across a book-filled room. She was working as a temporary librarian over the winter break (fortunately, studying pays off in more ways than one). We have four kids as a result of two births (the last birth resulted in triplets). I love my family and enjoy spending time with them. We joined the LifePointe Church family in August, 2009, where I currently serve as Lead Pastor.
To make gospel-centered disciples of Jesus Christ.
I love God, people, and the gospel. I have a deep affection for God as a result of being absolutely blown away by who he is and what he has done on our behalf. I love his church, and live for equipping her to remain gospel-centered, helping her to continually understand that the gospel isn’t something we do, but something that God has done for us by his grace through our Heavenly Father sending his Son, Jesus Christ. I love people, and crave for them to come into a growing relationship with God through the gospel.
I believe the greatest gift of the gospel is God himself. And my greatest desire is that the gospel governs every facet of the life he has given me. The gospel is good news… Jesus is good news! And I believe that every person grows best in their relationship with God when the gospel of God’s grace remains our central focus. Therefore, I am passionate about making the deep truths of the gospel real for everyday people, as the Holy Spirit enables and empowers us to experience and grow spiritually in these gospel deeps.
B.A. in Communications, Baylor University; Master of Theology, Dallas Theological Seminary; Doctor of Ministry, Western Seminary
Interests and Favorites
- Places: Anywhere with my wife and kids enjoying their presence; mountains for exploration and reflection; the plains for the wide open views; the elk woods for silence and the thrill of the hunt; knee deep in a river for emptying my continuous flow of thought; anywhere with people who fill me with laughter and joy; Old Town Fort Collins and the CSU campus; coffee shops and restaurants for rich conversations and good food; anywhere around the globe for adventure and discovery.
- What’s on your iPod: Thousands of songs and books; I like music and books that tell a story, expressing a window into what people think and feel. I like books and music that draw me in, and draw my heart to love God more deeply. I listen to music and books that help me more clearly understand God, people, and my own heart as well.
- Books: The Bible is my favorite by far! I’m a pastor, what did you expect? I view the Bible as one book – a continuous and redemptive story of God’s overarching grace and love in Jesus Christ.
- What do you DVR: Football, Blue Bloods, Law and Order SVU, The Voice, Downton Abbey (watching w/ my oldest daughter), and Alaska: The Last Frontier.
- Sports Teams: Seattle Seahawks; Denver Broncos; Ohio State Buckeyes; Baylor Bears; CSU Rams; NFL and College football in general. My wife and I love to watch football together.
- Movies: Braveheart; Les Miserables (2012); The Mission; Gladiator; The Bourne Trilogy; Anne of Green Gables; Nacho Libre; Lone Survivor; American Sniper.
- Hobbies: Hunting; adventure mountain biking; bikepacking; traveling; mountaineering; fly fishing; and any sport or adventure where I can build relationships with people and enjoy my relationship with God.
- Dislikes: Legalism; bullies; my sin.
- Odd Facts: My wife’s first Sunday at LifePointe was when she was five years old; I have raced and finished the Ironman, but once was enough for me; I would like to race the Tour Divide on my mountain bike from Banff, Canada, to Antelope Wells, New Mexico.
“But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” – Acts 20:24 ESV
– Craig Hasselbach